Monday, March 20, 2006

A stormy day for Quiet Storm Stout

Wow!!! What a brew day. I think I am still recovering. 20 gallons are in carboys fermenting away in Drew's kitchen. We had a very successful brew day even considering the weather was quite nasty all day. Actually, we have been needing the rain so much I don't think anyone was too upset it was raining. I'm not sure if it was all the beer we were drinking, or the cigars and more beer we partook after the brewing, but whatever it was we had a good time and felt no pain...well at least until the next day...

Drew and I started the day by getting the equipment ready, thanks go out to Scot Kee for the usage of his equipment as well. Borrowing Scot's mash tun, hot liquor tank and big ass pot really helped us a bunch. Drew and I might still be at it if we hadn't had his equipment.

All in all, things went off without too much of a hitch...okay, well truthfully, we may have imbibed a bit much, as the word oops seemed to be quite prevalent for the day. We did have one mishap, we had to sacrifice a 6.5 gal glass carboy to the brewing gods...no, thank goodness we had not yet put our wort into it, but nearly seven gallons of sanitizer solution flowed into the McKinney sewers that day! Other than that, I forgot to have us check gravities...not a huge deal, but now we won't be able to know the alcohol content of our brews...oh well, no biggie.

As per our updated plan, we brewed 20 gallons of beer, 10 gallons of my new recipe Alfster's Apricot Wheat, which was a variation of my American wheat with some different grains to darken the color just a tad, as well, we will be adding apricot extract to the secondary for that extra little flavor. We also brewed 10 gallons of Quiet Storm Stout. I have to say I'm really looking forward to seeing how this brew is going to turn out. It was a recipe I found from the brew board over at Homebrew Adventures. I think it's gonna be "awesome like a hot dog."

Okay, now for pics and what not! I have my new web page updated with pics so check them out if you want: New Cool Brewing Pics

You might notice that I registered theblackdogbrewery.com, yes it is up and running. I will eventually move it to a pay to host site with GoDaddy so that the advertising won't be showing, but I hope it doesn't bother anyone too greatly right now, because I'm really cheap.

Cheers and Hoppy Brewing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home